Members of the REALTORS® Association of Edmonton respect and pledge
to subscribe to a strict Code
of Ethics and Standards of Business Practice. To ensure compliance,
REALTORS® enforce their Code through standard procedures entrenched
in the Bylaws under the jurisdiction of the Arbitration and Professional
Through this Committee, the Association deals with all written complaints
and has the authority to discipline a Member who has been found in contravention
of the Code. The members understand adherence to the Code
protects and promotes the continued trust and positive relations which
have with their clients.
The Professional Standards Committee:
- determines if the complaint falls within our jurisdiction;
- will only make decisions based on the evidence before them;
- will advise you of the results and provide an explanation of their outcome;
- does not have the jurisdiction to make decisions regarding monetary concerns or legal matters. These claims should be taken to a lawyer for assistance;
- will not accept any third-party complaints, i.e. only parties that are involved in the situation (agent, broker, buyer or seller).
Steps to Resolve Your Concerns
The members of the REALTORS® Association are pleased to provide an
information resource which offers experience, guidance, advice and if
possible, resolution, to the public. The Industry Standards & Practice
Department works in conjunction with the Arbitration and Professional Standards
Committee to process all written complaints and to enforce the The REALTOR® Code and Standards of Business Practice.
Following are the steps you can take if you have a question
- Contact your REALTOR®. Many situations can be resolved through
open and frank communication.
- Contact your REALTOR®s Broker. Your concerns may not yet
have been brought to the attention of the Broker. The Broker will welcome
the opportunity to address your concerns and to ensure a continued good
working relationship with you. The Broker is concerned with the reputation
of the office as it impacts on all the REALTORS® who work there.
- Contact the REALTORS® Association Industry Standards & Practice Department at 780-451-6666 to help you determine the most appropriate action for your particular
situation or to register a formal complaint if you feel there has been
a breach of the REALTORS® Code
of Ethics or Standards of Business Practices.
- Contact the Real Estate
Council of Alberta which regulates the real estate industry, if there
is an alleged violation of the Real
Examples of complaints to be investigated by the Real Estate Council of Alberta are:
- fraudulent activities
- unlawful activities
- breach of fiduciary duties
- professional misconduct
- You may also want to contact your lawyer to obtain a legal opinion
regarding your situation.
If you are uncertain of the meaning of any of the real estate terms you
have heard during your transaction, you may find this